Latest News
Report Says Cristiano Ronaldo Threatened To Abandon World Cup Squad After Being Benched, Now Portugal Federation Reacts
Friday, 09 December 2022 - 11:32 | Views - 891

The Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) on Thursday denied Cristiano Ronaldo threatened to abandon the World Cup squad after being benched against Switzerland. The 37-year-old striker was surprisingly dropped for the last 16 clash on Tuesday, with his replacement Goncalo Ramos netting a hat-trick in the 6-1 victory. Ronaldo appeared from the bench, but a report from Portuguese publication Record said the striker had previously threatened to leave in a tense conversation with coach Fernando Santos.

 

"The FPF clarifies that at no time did the captain of the Selecao, Cristiano Ronaldo, threaten to leave the national team during the stay in Qatar," said the federation.

 

"Every day Ronaldo is building up a unique track record at the service of the national team and the country, which must be respected."

The FPF said Ronaldo's appearance against Switzerland was a further demonstration of his commitment to the cause.

Ronaldo is the most-capped Portuguese player and the top men's international goalscorer of all time.

 

Portugal face Morocco on Saturday in the quarter-finals, where Ramos may again get the nod over Ronaldo.

The five-time Ballon d'Or winner did not train with the other substitutes on Wednesday after the game, instead taking part in a gym session alongside the starters against Switzerland.

Share This Article
After years dominated by hyper-saturated trend cycles and sleek, ultra-smooth minimalism, fashion has...
The era of hyper-rigid seasonal dress codes has quietly dissolved. Where personal style once demanded...
There was a time when sleek, unadorned surfaces and flat printed graphics defined what it meant to be...
Thursday, 13 August 2026
Thursday, 30 July 2026
Top