Latest News
Johnny Sexton: Concern for Ireland and Leinster star after head knocks
Monday, 22 August 2022 - 11:57 | Views - 584

A former French professional has called Johnny Sexton’s decision to continue playing rugby “bizarre”, with the fly-half suffering a series of head knocks during his career.

Geoffrey Sella, the son of France legend Philippe, played his final match in March 2019 at the age of just 26 and duly retired because of concussion.

The effects of head knocks have become a huge talking point in the world of rugby, while lawsuits have been brought by former players against rugby’s governing bodies.

Dementia

A number of ex-players have come forward over the issues they have endured since retiring, including suffering from early-onset dementia.

And Sella hopes that others, including Ireland legend Sexton, won’t pay the same price for putting the sport over their long-term health.

“I hear about it (Sexton’s setbacks) because my friends send me the videos every time. I won’t even say it’s sad because I am no one to judge his case. But I wouldn’t like to be in his place in a few years, though maybe he will be fine,” he told Midi Olympique.

“It’s worrying. It’s his choice (to keep playing), you have to respect it, even if I find this choice…bizarre. I think everyone sees danger differently. He doesn’t deserve to end up with dementia, like Carl Hayman or others. It’s complex the concussions.”

Sexton’s most recent head knock came against New Zealand in the first Test of the recent three-match series, but the fly-half was deemed fit to start the next encounter – a decision that drew plenty of criticism.

Sella revealed how he suffered after sustaining concussions during his career, but the centre hopes to be on the mend.

Let down by the authorities

“I can say that the depression is completely behind me. I still have a regular follow-up because as soon as when you feel a little too good and let yourself go, you are quickly called to order,” he said.

“There was anger because my medical file during the three years, it was really s***. I was coming to a point where I was really down and I was exhausted. I felt like I was let down by organisations like social security.

“It’s a constant fight… and that is why I made these posts (on social media). But since then, I have had a big follow-up with a psychologist and a speech therapist and I have treatments. This is what allows me to get better little by little, but you must not let go.

He added: “Every day, I went through several stages and it led me to be a bit at the bottom of the abyss last winter.

“I didn’t really understand what was happening to me, I had mood swings, was tired all the time and anxious. I could not accept the fact that I could no longer play sports, let alone be a top athlete. I had become completely sedentary. The slightest effort was excruciating.”

Share This Article
After years dominated by hyper-saturated trend cycles and sleek, ultra-smooth minimalism, fashion has...
The era of hyper-rigid seasonal dress codes has quietly dissolved. Where personal style once demanded...
There was a time when sleek, unadorned surfaces and flat printed graphics defined what it meant to be...
Thursday, 13 August 2026
Thursday, 30 July 2026
Top