Vegetarian lentil cottage pie
Thursday, 23 September 2021 - 20:32 | Views - 37
For the cauliflower
For the cottage pie
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
- To make the cauliflower, place the cauliflower and green beans in a large roasting tray. Drizzle with the oil, season with salt and pepper and toss. Roast for 20–25 minutes, or until tender and just charred.
- Meanwhile, to make the cottage pie, heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and fry the celery, swede and half the carrots for around 5 minutes, until starting to soften. Stir in the mixed herbs and tomato purée and cook for 1 minute. Add the lentils and mix well, then crumble in the stock cube and pour in the boiling water. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the potatoes to the boil in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the remaining grated carrots and return to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for another 5 minutes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots, then return to the pan, add the butter and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste, then mash until smooth and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to high. Tip the hot lentil mixture into a large baking dish and spoon the mash over the top. Use a fork to level it out and make ridges along the top, then grill for 5 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and crisp.
- Serve the cottage pie with the roasted cauliflower and green beans.