
Cristiano Ronaldo's future at Al-Nassr has been plunged into doubt after he was left out of their squad for Monday's Saudi Pro League game against Al-Riyadh.
Portuguese outlet A Bola, external reported the 40-year-old is refusing to play, having grown dissatisfied with how the club is being run by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF).
Both Al-Nassr and Al-Hilal - the country's most successful club with 19 league titles - are among those controlled by the PIF, which also backs Newcastle United.
Ronaldo joined Al-Nassr in 2022 after leaving Manchester United mid-season, becoming the best-paid player in football history with an annual salary of £177m, but has only won the Arab Club Champions Cup with them.
The five-time Ballon d'Or winner signed a new two-year contract in June 2025.
Before he agreed the new deal, however, there was speculation he might leave Al-Nassr with a loan move to rivals Al-Hilal among those touted.
BBC Sport has also been told that Al-Hilal's pursuit of Karim Benzema is the principle reason for Ronaldo's frustration at Al-Nassr.
The former France striker and teammate of Ronaldo at Real Madrid joined Al-Hilal from Al-Ittihad late on Monday after his contract was terminated. The 38-year-old had been training alone after falling out with bosses of Al-Ittihad over a possible contract extension.
"He's just competitive and doesn't like other clubs getting stronger", said one source familiar with the situation at Al-Nassr.
The latest development in Riyadh is sure to fuel more rumours - so what has gone wrong for Ronaldo at Al-Nassr?